- Destination: Nepal
- Activities: Trekking
- Trip Grade: Moderate
- Departure from: Kathmandu,Nepal
- Arrival on: kathmandu,Nepal
- Group size: 1-12 people
- Best Seasons: Jan - May & Sept - Dec
The hidden paradise of Mustang, the Upper Mustang Trek is a perfect journey to the “Last Forbidden Kingdom” of Nepal. Trekking to the region requires a permit. Make the trekking trail easier with the group of experienced individuals of Asian Alpine Treks and Expedition, and maximize the chances to attaining the best opportunity to explore the mystical valley of Mustang with us.
Full of colorful prayer flags, treeless barren landscape, steep rocky trails, Buddhist monasteries, Tibetan Buddhism culture and the mind-boggling views of the Annapurna, Dhaulagiri, Nilgiri, and other peaks, the Upper Mustang Trek is a wholesome package for thrill seekers. The mystic of Upper Mustang arises from the sheer contrast of the dry arid lands with the white mountain peaks, and the cultural diversity this region so wonderfully showcases. The close niche life, the loneliness, and isolation as well as the conserved lifestyle of Upper Mustang are what makes the Upper Mustang Trek an incredible experience.
Come explore villages like Jomsom, Chele, Gilling, Ghami, Charang and the capital of Lo Manthang, and pace your way back to Kathmandu through villages like Choser, Ghargompa, Chile, Kagbeni, and Jomsom. If you are a person with some previous trekking experience and a moderately good physique, then the Upper Mustang Trek is a suitable opportunity to experience a piece of heaven and remember the journey for a lifetime.
- Day 01: Arrive in Kathmandu. Overnight at hotel in Kathmandu Our representative will welcome you at Airport, after introductory meeting transport you to hotel in Kathmandu. We will explain about the program in briefly along the way to hotel. Rest of the day varies upon your arrival time; we can organize some activities if you arrived by midday or early afternoon but late afternoon and evening arrivals have a free day for individual activities
- Day 02: Fly/ Drive from Kathmandu to Pokhara (823m).Overnight at hotel in Pokhara Fly fom Kathmandu to Pokhara which takes approx 25 minutes flight or drive to Pokhara which takes approx 6 hours drive to reach Pokhara. Pokhara offers magnificent views of Dhaulagiri, Manaslu, Machhapuchhare, five peaks of Annapurna and others. Pokhara is city of lakes and has numerous beautiful lakes. Explore around Fewa Lake in the afternoon -enjoy boating as well.
- Day 03: Fly to Jomsom and trek to Kagbeni (2,858m).Overnight at tea house/lodge After an early morning breakfast transfer to the airport for the flight to Jomsom. It will take about 25 minutes to reach Jomsom. During the flight you can view the gorge of the two huge Annapurna & Dhaulagiri. Jomsom is a large, bustling settlement and it’s the administrative centre to the region that contains the airport, army camp, hotels, shops, banks and government offices. From Jomsom onwards it is very windy in the afternoon, Continue on the gradual path on the Kali Gandaki river bed for about 3 hrs and finally reaching at Ekley-bhatti village. After good stop here an hour of easy walk takes us to Kagbeni, which lies at the bank of two rivers. Kagbeni is an interesting windswept villages situated on the main age old Trans-himalayan salt trade route to Tibet via Upper Mustang area. In Kagbeni a major tributory, Kak Khola, coming from Muktinath, meets Mustang Khola, and from there the river is called the Kali Gandaki.
- Day 04: Kagbeni to Chele (3050m). Overnight at tea house/lodge There is a trail up the east bank of the Kali Gandaki that climbs over many ridges as it heads north and reaches Tangbe village. The town is a labyrinth of narrow alleys amongst whitewashed houses, fields of buckwheat, barley, wheat and apple orchards. Nilgiri peak, which dominates the southern skyline at Kagbeni, continues to loom massively at the foot of the valley. Beyond Tangbe, we reach Chhusang village and crossing the river, continue climbing north up the trail to a huge red chunk of conglomerate that has fallen from the cliff above, forming a tunnel through which the Kali Gandaki flows. The trek now leaves the Kali Gandaki valley and climbs steeply up a rocky gully to Chele at 3050m.
- Day 05: Chele to Syanbochen (3475m). Overnight at tea house/lodge We start our trek today and walk further to Eklo Bhatti. We climb to Taklam La Pass (3,624m) through plateaus and narrow stretches with views of Tilicho Peak, Yakawa Kang and Damodar Danda. Further descend a little to the village of Samar. Climb the trail that goes above Samar village to the ridge then descending steeply to a stream. Another 3 hrs similar walk takes us to Syanbochen. On the way, we relax along the surrounding of cool streams and juniper trees. Locals use the dried leaves of junipers as incenses to invite deities and start any auspicious work. We also pass by a cave famously known as Ramchung Cave.
- Day 06: Syanbochen to Ghaymi (3520m). Overnight at tea house/lodge After breakfast we trek uphill to the Yamda La (3,850m) passing a few teahouses, local villages. We cross mountain passes, and an avenue of poplar trees and fields of Barley. The climb to Nyi Pass (4,010m) would be a little longer. Descend to our overnight stop at Ghaymi. The third largest village in the Lo region, Ghayami is surrounded by large fields most of which are barren.
- Day 07: Ghaymi to Charang (3500m). Overnight at tea house/lodge After breakfast we start the trek with a pleasant walk. After crossing Ghaymi Khola, the trail climbs to a plateau and passes beside a very long Mani wall, a sacred stone wall made by the followers Buddhism. From the end of the wall the trail heads east to the village of Charang with a maze of fields, willow trees and houses separated by stone walls at the top of the Tsarang Chu canyon. There is also a huge white dzong and red Gompa to get to our teahouse for tonight’s stop.
- Day 08: Charang to Lo-Mangthang (3700m). Overnight at tea house/lodge The trail first descends to Charang Chu Canyon and then climbs steeply after crossing the river. Further the trail ascends gently to the 3,850m windy pass of Lo, from where you can see the Lo-Mangthang Valley. While descending to Lo-Mangthang, views of the walled city appear magnificent with its hills.
- Day 09: Explore Lo-Mangthang. Overnight at tea house/lodge Today we explore the around Lo-Manthang areas. Visit Namgyal Gompa and Tingkhar. Namgyal Gompa situated on a hill top serves as an important monastery of the local community and also as a local court. After visiting Namgyal Gompa continue the tour to Tingkhar, the last main village to the northwest of Lo-Mangthang and stroll back to hotel. Or you may have another option to visit the Tall Champa Lakhang “God house” the red Thugchen Gompa, Chyodi Gompa and the Entrance Hall which are the main attraction of this town. Another attraction is the four- storey building of the Raja’s palace as well as the surrounding panoramic views of the Himalaya.
- Day 10: Lo-Mangthang to Drakmar (3810 m). Overnight at tea house/lodge While returning from Lo-Mangthan, we take a different route than that we came by. Trek to Drakmar via Gyakar with more than 1200 years old Ghar Gompa with Guru Rinpoche as the primary figure. The Gompa is also famous for its rock paintings. According to the legend, anyone who makes one wish at the Ghar Gompa, their wish is fulfilled. Explore the local area.
- Day 11: Dhakmar to Ghiling (3806m). Overnight at tea house/lodge Today, we get back to Ghiling as our journey for our overnight stay after a long walk takes 5-6 hrs. After arrival and lunch enjoy the day exploring the area, but it will be dusty wind in the afternoon, better to walk in evening time.
- Day 12: Ghiling to Chhuksang (3050m). Overnight at tea house/lodge We re-track back to Ghiling for the overnight stop after 5 hrs walk. You will have wonderful scenery during the journey with a Himalayan view.
- Day 13: Chhuksang to Jomsom (2700m). Overnight at tea house/lodge Our last day of the trek would be a bit long one. We will early start our trek to Kagbeni. Finishing the upper Mustang trails and we join the normal Annapurna circuit trek. And then we will head towards Jomsom .
- Day 14: Fly back to Pokhara. Overnight at hotel in Pokhara After morning breakfast fly back to Pokhara. Transfer to the hotel and explore around on your own. Evening walk around lakeside.
- Day 15: Fly from Pokhara to Kathmandu. Overnight at hotel in Kathmandu After breakfast, fly back to Kathmandu. Rest day.In the evening dinner at Nepali cultural restaurant to observe the Nepali culture, tradition in the form of music.
- Day 16: Final departure After breakfast, proceed for your final departure. Trip ends, return back to your home town taking with you the best memories of a life time…………..
0 Reviews on Upper Mustang Trek